Mission-Driven Communication, Collaboration, and Response Coordination for Healthcare and Public Health in Protecting Our Nation's Critical Infrastructure and National Health Security
It’s my honor to chair the U.S. Healthcare and Public Health Sector Coordinating Council (HPH SCC) and welcome your healthcare or public health agency to participate as a private sector member or subject matter expert.
The COVID-19 pandemic has underscored the need to revitalize our mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery capabilities. It has also pointed out vulnerabilities such as our supply chain that we need to address. Finally, a renewed effort to establish a strong public health infrastructure is critical.
Established in 2003, the HPH SCC organized under the National Critical Infrastructure Protection Program, sanctioned by Homeland Security Presidential Directive – 21 (HSPD-21). Our organization represents private sector healthcare and public health critical infrastructure owners and operators, trade associations, industry representatives, and sector subject matter experts with coordinated strategies, policy guidance and collaborative activities to ensure the protection and continuity of our Nation’s private sector healthcare and public health services.
The HPH SCC serves as federally acknowledged healthcare and public health private sector trusted advisors, and the coordinating council to the U.S. government for sector specific critical infrastructure and national health security, and resilience activities.
The HPH SCC serves you as a mission-driven council for communication, collaboration, and response coordination. We look forward to your agency’s membership and participation in protecting and securing our Nation’s health security toward current and future risks and threats upon our sector.
Mark P. Jarrett MD, MBA, MS
Chair, U.S. Healthcare and Public Health
Sector Coordinating Council
What is the HPHSCC?
The HPHSCC has been established to serve as the Sector Coordinator (as defined in the 2003 Homeland Security Presidential Directive 7 and modified in the 2013 Presidential Policy Directive 21 by the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
The HPHSCC serves as the private sector counterpart and partner to the Healthcare and Public Health Government Coordinating Council (HPHGCC, or GCC). HPHSCC Core Functions (not limited to), include working with private and public partners to:
• Develop guides and checklists to prepare sector members to recover from a critical incident or event
• Implement the National Infrastructure Protection Plan (NIPP) sector partnership and risk management framework and the National Health Security Strategy
• Develop protective programs and actions to defend against, prepare for, and mitigate the consequences of a terrorist attack or other hazards
• Provide guidance on Healthcare and Public Health critical infrastructure protection
• Communicate the needs of the Healthcare and Public Health Sector throughout government, and across private sector partners
• Measure the sector’s performance toward sector protection priorities
• Encourage information sharing among all sector partners 5 Comprehensive Council Charter
• Submit sector plans and reports to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
• Sustain the essential functions of the Nation’s healthcare and public health delivery system and to support effective emergency preparedness and response to nationally significant hazards or events
• Public and private sector partners will evaluate risks; coordinate plans and policy; and provide guidance to prevent, protect, mitigate, respond to, and recover from all hazards that pose a threat to the Sector’s critical infrastructure
• Independent of, or in collaboration with our GCC partners, the HPHSCC Leadership shall serve, the Offices of the Secretary for the Department of Health and Human Services, Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, and to the Office of the Secretary for the Department of Homeland Security, as trusted advisors on matters of Healthcare and Public Health Readiness and Response to actual and perceived threats to our Nation’s Health Security
• Independent of, or in collaboration with our GCC partners, the HPHSCC shall serve our membership, as well as the community we serve, as a coordinating group during times of regional or national, healthcare or public health crisis.